Pages

10.19.2011

a re-evaluation

"He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?"
-Micah 6:8 [ESV]

Following my foggy cynical season of post-high-school-identity-disorder, I remember distinctly how the Lord led me through a passionate season of humility.

I will not live for money. I will not live for work. I will not live to pay the bills.
I will live ever, only for You.

I developed dreams of serving the poor and needy, changing the world around through one-on-one God-saturated conversation, and consecrating myself to Him wholly--no matter the size of the sacrifice.

Today, years removed from the freshness of Ragamuffin Gospel and Crazy Love, I feel my inner self crying out "Make me humble again, Lord."

But do I trust Him with the process?

When I lay my Spirit's desires before Him, I certainly see my[whole]self more clearly. And some of the trinkets I hold onto are frankly embarrassing.

What if I have to give up:
-Shopping
-Lattes
-Facebook
-Select movies

"Turn away my eyes from looking at vanity,
And revive me in Your ways."

-Psalm 119:37 [NASB]


If it costs me everything--if it flips my self-absorbed life upside-down--I am willing. Furthermore, I am longing.

I long to have the heartbeat of God. I long to do justice, love kindness, and walk humbly with Him.
I am completely surrendered to His call, praying He interrupts and invades my day-to-day with His Kingdom Come.

2 comments:

  1. one of my most favorite verses from Micah. my heart is the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am right here with you Haley - humility and longing. It's hard to give up the things we love for something greater that we don't see. My prayers are with you and for you.

    ReplyDelete